Last updated: 28/02/2013
The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company† takes your privacy seriously and values its relationship with you. Our privacy statement will help you understand the types of personal data we gather from visitors to our sites, from individuals who participate in our surveys and who telephone or write to us, how it is used, and how you can gain access to it.
The collection of personal data and its use by The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company complies with applicable laws and regulations.
The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company collects personal data online primarily to provide our visitors with a more relevant experience on our sites. When doing so, we will make every reasonable effort to avoid excessive or irrelevant collection of data.
The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company will take reasonable physical, technical and organisational measures to safeguard and secure any personal data you provide to us (e.g. personal data will be stored in protected databases on secured servers with restricted access).
Personal data collected online by automated means
Any time you visit The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company web sites, we may gather certain information regarding the means you use to access our site. This information may include the type and version of your browser, your service provider, your IP address, any search engine you may have used to locate the site, and certain navigational information about where you go on our web sites. We may use this information for data analytics and system administration purposes, and for compliance with our legal obligations, policies and procedures. This information also enables us to determine which areas of the web sites are most frequently visited and helps us to tailor the sites to the needs and interests of our online visitors. In addition, it may be used to tailor information presented to you on our sites based on your previous use of the sites and your interests in particular topics. In addition, we gather tracking information from our monthly e-mail newsletters via user tracking and click tracking. This information enables us to determine the effectiveness of our e-mail newsletter campaigns.
The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company may use a browser feature known as a ‘cookie’. Cookies are small files placed on your hard drive that assist The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company in providing you with a customised browsing experience. We use the following cookies:
Strictly necessary cookies
These cookies are essential to allow you to navigate around the web site and use its features. For example, these cookies will manage your logged-in status during the session.
These cookies help us to provide you with a better user experience by collecting information to improve the functioning of the web site. For example, this will enable us to determine which areas of the web site are most frequently visited and so should be more prominent.
These cookies enable us to remember choices you have made in order to provide functionality for your benefit. For example they enable the web site to remember your details such as user IDs and passwords to provide you with the convenience of not having to re-enter such information multiple times during your visits to The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company web sites. They also enable us to provide you with information targeted to your interests, based upon your prior browsing on The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company web sites.
Third party cookies
We may use third party web analytics services on our web sites, such as those of Google Analytics. The analytics providers that administer these services use technologies such as cookies, web server logs and web beacons to help us analyse how visitors the site. The information collected through these means (including IP address) is disclosed to these analytics providers, who use the information to evaluate use of the web site. To learn more about Google Analytics and how to opt out, please visit the Google Analytics website.
Personal data you provide
You may provide us with your personal data online, such as your name, email address, postal address, telephone number, gender, and photograph. This may occur when you enroll in an E-Mail Reminder Service, request information, register on our site, enter one of our competitions or use any of the other interactive portions of our web sites. When you telephone or write to us, or participate in one of our surveys, we may collect this and other personal data about you, such as details of the telephone call, incident information (which may include some medical information) and, in some cases, bank account details. We use such data for a range of purposes, depending on the nature of your interaction with us, including to:
- Provide you with information you’ve requested about our company, our products and our services;
- Provide you with special notices;
- Create, manage and administer your account;
- Process and manage transactions, customer returns and reimbursements;
- Manage and respond to your queries and complaints;
- Comply with applicable legal requirements, relevant industry standards and our policies;
- Process competition entries; or
- Evaluate and improve The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company business (including training, quality management, managing our communications, developing new products, conducting accounting, auditing and other internal business functions).
We may also use the data in other ways for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection.
When we request personal data on our sites, some requests are marked as ‘Required’; this information is necessary to allow you to participate in the programme or service you’ve requested. You may opt out of receiving future communications at any time (see ‘opt-out procedures’ below). This data may also be used to tailor your experience on our sites by providing content that is relevant to your interests and geographic region.
Personal data we collect from other sources
How we communicate with you
The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company may send communications to you on the basis of the information you provide to us online through email or by post. You may opt out of email or postal communications from us at any time (see ‘opt-out procedures’ below).
Disclosure of personal data
We collect and maintain the personal data of our consumers for the use of The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company and its affiliates. We do not sell, rent, or trade consumer information to third parties, other than as described below.
- Business partners: The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company may partner with select retailers and other companies at various times to provide expanded services to our site visitors. As part of such a relationship, The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company may share with these companies the use of certain interactive web site functions (e.g. the E-Mail Reminder Service). Information provided by site visitors through the use of such interactive functions may be available to both The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company and its partners.
- Agents: The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company may use other companies and individuals to perform certain functions on our behalf. Examples include administering email services and running special promotions. Such parties only have access to the personal data needed to perform these functions and may not use or store the data for any other purpose.
- Business transfers: In the event that The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company sells or transfers a particular portion of its business assets, consumer personal data may be one of the business assets transferred as part of the transaction. If substantially all of the assets of The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company are acquired, consumer personal data may be transferred as part of the acquisition.
- Compliance with law/safety: The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company may disclose specific personal data to law enforcement, regulatory or government officials based on a good-faith belief that such disclosure is necessary or appropriate to comply with law or legal process or that such disclosure is necessary to protect the users of our web sites, the sites themselves, or the public.
Policies on children
Children under the age of 16 are welcome to use The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company Web sites. However, we will ask that a registrant under the age of 16 obtains the consent of a parent or guardian before they become fully registered with one of our web sites. Orders for goods or services will not be accepted from children under 16 without first obtaining a parent/guardian’s verifiable and explicit consent.
A personal data record created through your registration with a The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company web site can only be accessed with the unique password associated with that record. To protect the integrity of the information contained in this record, you should not disclose or otherwise reveal your password to third parties.
The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company web sites may make chat rooms, forums, message boards, and/or news groups available to its users at various times. Please remember that, unless otherwise stated, any information that is disclosed in these areas becomes public information and you should exercise caution when deciding to disclose your personal data in these areas.
You may opt out of receiving future communications from The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company. Our web sites allow users to opt out of receiving such communications at the point of data collection. If you wish to opt out of receiving email marketing communications, you can do so by clicking on the unsubscribe link within the marketing emails you receive or by using the Contact Us enquiry form. If you wish to opt out of postal marketing communications, you can do so by following the instructions that may be included in the communication or by using the Contact Us enquiry form.
Accessing correcting, updating and removing personal data
You may request access to your personal data for your review. Additionally, you may request that we update, modify or remove this information at any time by using the Contact Us enquiry form.
Notification of changes
Contacting the web sites
† The Scotts Company (UK) Ltd trading as The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company.