Most asked questions about
If animal poisoning is suspected, take the animal and the snail pellet pack to your vet WITHOUT DELAY. Prompt veterinary attention may save your pet's life. Symptoms of poisoning include trembling, frothing at the mouth, vomiting, lethargy and lack of coordination. It should be noted that pets and wildlife are not at risk from consuming snails that have already been killed by the snail pellets, because the product will have been metabolised and rendered harmless in the snail or slug gut.
For questions regarding poisoning, the Poisons Information Line can be contacted on 13 11 26 Australia-wide.
Pellets are made from compressed bran into which the poison (metaldehyde) is impregnated. They readily absorb moisture when it rains or you water the garden. When they swell and hold a lot of moisture, they start to decompose - the furry fungus is part of that process and it is harmless, so long as the pellets are not in direct contact with plants. Pellets will still attract snails and slugs and be effective even when mouldy.
However, they have a life of about two weeks from the time they were distributed, so should be replaced regularly if slugs and snails are still present.
Yes, it is. Defender Pyrethrum is not a scheduled poison and is of very little risk to humans, animals and birds. You don't need to wear any personal protection equipment (PPE) when using it. It is not residual nor systemic - it is not absorbed by plants and doesn't persist on plants or in the soil - it does not enter the food chain or accumulate in the environment. It kills insect pests by direct contact and there is no withholding period. You can spray today and eat tomorrow.
Couldn't find the answer to your question?