The festive season often brings decorations that glisten, glimer and spark joy, but come January they're piling up in landfills.
Why not go for long-lasting holiday decorations this year with a succulent wreath?
The unique colours, shapes and textures of succulents make them perfect for some DIY decor!
Check out our guide to creating a succulent wreath to find out how you can include a special touch of nature in your festive decor this year!
Create Your Own Succulent Christmas Wreath
Gather Your Supplies
To get started you will need:
- DIY Metal Wire Wreath (available at leading craft stores)
- Floristry pins
- Debco Sphagnum Moss
- Scotts Osmocote Pour+Feed Cacti & Succulents
- Succulents (rosette-shaped succulents / Echeveria species work best)
- Christmas baubles or decorations of your choice
- 9L bucket
- Wire cutters
- Dust mask and gloves
- In a bucket, soak Debco Sphagnum Moss in Scotts Osmocote Pour+Feed for Cacti & Succulents. It is much easier to use the moss when it is wet. Plus, Scotts Osmocote Pour+Feed for Cacti & Succulents will give your succulents a nutritious boost so they thrive through the holiday season!
- Place your DIY wire wreath base on a flat surface and grab a handful of soaked sphagnum moss. Squeeze out any excess liquid, and start placing around the wreath, securing it with wire as you go.
- Now comes the fun bit! Sort your succulents into small, medium and large sized.
- Thread your floristry pin or wire through the stalk of the succulent and push the pinned succulent into the wreath
- Gaps can be filled with baubles or decorations of your choice, using the same pinned method.
Care & Nurture
- Once made, lay your wreath flat for a week so that the succulents can take root
- Your wreath will thrive best in a bright sunny spot
- Cacti and Succulents don’t like soggy feet, so be sure not to over water! A spray under the succulents and directly onto the Sphagnum Moss works well.
- Fertilise every fortnight with Scotts Osmocote Pour+Feed for Cacti & Succulents