Lawn Builder Weed, Feed & Green Up is a ‘2 in 1’ product designed to make lawn care as simple and fuss-free as possible.
You don’t have to be a turf expert to have a great looking lawn – simply click the bottle on to the hose, turn on the tap, slide the switch on the handle of the bottle to ON and away you go. Easy as!
This product is a hose-on liquid to feed, weed and green your lawn in one go. This lawn treatment saves you time, money and the bother of having to find three separate products to do what this single bottle can do. Even better, our ergonomically designed Easy Sprayer puts the product on the lawn, not all over you and the rest of the garden!
What is Scotts Weed and Feed?
Weed: This lawn treatment contains a combination selective broadleaf herbicides to target the most common pesky weeds in your beautiful lawn. The active constituents are all proven and highly effective.
Feed: The easily absorbed, soluble nitrogen and other nutrients in the guaranteed analysis offer complete nutrition for lawns result in fast greening and improved vigour within days of application.
Green-Up: The boosted level of iron, present in a stable soluble form, is quickly absorbed for rapid greening of lawns that are not quite at their peak. It will not, however, make already vibrant green lawns any greener!
How does Weed and Feed work?
With all those nutrients in an easily absorbed liquid, it might look like you’re feeding the weeds, but that’s a temporary situation. The weeds only gain some very short term benefit. The powerful combination of selective herbicides in Weed, Feed & Green-Up work more quickly and effectively when the weed is actively growing. So with a quick growth boost from the fertiliser, the product is more effective in controlling weeds. With clover especially, the plant responds quickly to the fertiliser and it can give a quick growth spurt before the herbicide takes effect.
Weed, Feed & Green Up targets the broadleaf weeds in your lawn but not the grasses. It burns off the weed leaves preventing photosynthesis and resulting in the bulbs and sturdy roots starving to the point where they are incapable of regrowth. That’s when the weeds eventually die out.
This product will not eradicate grassy weeds like winter grass (Poa annua), summer grass (Digitaria sanguinalis), paspalum (Paspalum digitalis) or crab grass (Eleusine indica).
Some of the more persistent weeds like clover, oxalis, dandelion and capeweed, which have bulbs, corms or sturdy taproots, may need a couple of applications over a period of two or three months. Their underground parts hold food reserves that encourage the weeds to regrow.
By feeding the grass, you encourage strong growth that will help to out-compete the weeds during this season and with better lawn coverage, discourage weed incursions in the future.
Does Weed and Feed work? What are the benefits?
The unique sources of nitrogen and iron in Weed, Feed & Green Up are highly soluble and quickly absorbed to provide rapid greening response.
The solution is easily absorbed through the leaves/blades of grasses as well as the roots and goes to work immediately.
The 2.8L hose-on application bottle is perfect for small to medium-sized lawns, covering up to 180 m2.
It gives effective control of a wide range of broadleaf weeds:
- Bindii (jo-jo, Onehunga)
- Creeping oxalis (not in Tasmania)
- Lamb's tongue
The ready to apply liquid in our Easy Sprayer bottle puts the product on the lawn, and not all over you and the rest of the garden. Simply click on to the hose, turn on the tap and slide the switch on the bottle’s handle to ON, and you’re on the way to feeding the lawn while getting rid of broadleaf weeds at the same time.
What type of grass can Weed and Feed be used on?
Weed, Feed & Green Up can be safely used on lawns containing common couch, bent (but not on bent grass greens), Kikuyu, Perennial ryegrass and/or Chewings fescue ONLY.
If you are in any doubt as to what your lawn is, then use our Lawn Builder BUFFALO Weed, Feed & Green Up which can be applied to a broader range of grasses.
DO NOT USE on any type or variety of the following as this product may damage these grasses and lawn alternatives:
- Buffalo, including soft leaf Buffalo varieties like Sir Walter, Palmetto, Sapphire, Prestige, etc
- Carpet grass
- Santa Ana Couch
- Strawberry clover
How much Weed and Feed to use
The Easy Sprayer is manufactured to deliver the product at a dilution rate that ensures the 2.8L hose-on bottle will cover up to 180m2 with an effective supply of fertiliser as well as the correct application rate for the herbicides.
To determine how much you will need to treat your lawn at the recommended rate of application, calculate the area of your lawn. Multiply the length x width in metres (1 large stride = approximately 1 metre).
How to use Weed and Feed spray
- Shake the weed and feed spray bottle well before attaching it to the hose - ensure the thumb switch is in the OFF position first
- Tighten the hose connector on the handle prior to connecting the hose; turn the hose tap on fully
- Extend the hose to the most distant part of the lawn to be treated before you start to work back towards the tap or path, so you are not walking over herbicide-treated areas and potentially spreading herbicides where they are not wanted
- Slide the thumb switch to the ON position to feed, weed and green your lawn or slide to the WATER position to just water your garden
- Walk slowly using a sweeping action to evenly distribute the spray over the measured lawn area
- For accurate dispensing, check the handy view strip on the side of the bottle
- When finished, switch to OFF position and turn hose tap off
What is the best time to Weed and Feed your lawn in Australia?
- Weed, Feed & Green Up may be applied at any time of the year when weeds are actively growing, although results may be slower during winter when sap flow is slow and in the peak of summer when plants are stressed
- Do not use any other lawn fertiliser seven days before or after applying this product – over application of nitrogen may result in ‘hot spot’ burning of the lawn
- Allow at least two days after mowing before applying this product
- Avoid mowing after Weed and Feed application for at least seven days after application, to allow the best absorption for optimal results, although the label on the bottle states ‘Do not mow for at least two days after application’
- Do not apply on windy days as the spray may drift on to surrounding garden beds
- Do not apply if rain is expected within 24 hours because it will ash the product off before it has any chance of being fully absorbed
- Avoid using during weather extremes - frosts or heatwaves – when lawns are stressed
Situations to avoid
- Do not lay new turf, sow new seed or use lawn patching products within one month of application – the herbicides may persist in the soil for three weeks or more
- Do not apply on or around food plants or animal feed crops – take care not to get over-spray on to the vegie patch or over the root zone of fruit trees, where crops may be ready to harvest within the next month
- Do not use on new lawns less than three months old- new grasses are soft and can be damaged by even selective herbicides
- Do not use if the temperature is expected to exceed 30°C - wait for a day when temperatures are expected to be cooler; on hot days, leaves will not absorb nutrients or herbicides readily resulting in an ineffective application
For your safety
This product may cause staining of hard surfaces if wet because it contains iron. Avoid contact with hard surfaces. If it should inadvertently spray or run off on to hard surfaces (paving, tiles, etc), hose off immediately before it dries.
Keep out of the reach of children at all times. All garden products including this one should be stored securely in a locked shed or cupboard so children and pets cannot gain access.
ALWAYS read the instructions on the product packaging before use and take particular note of any warnings or cautions on the label.