Always use plant protection products safely. Always read the label and product information before use. Pay attention to the risk indications and follow the safety precautions on the label.
Sensible precautions while spraying
- Always read the product label before choosing a product and using it. Following these instructions will protect you and the environment from any harm.
- Never use a weedkiller carelessly.
- Check that the product can be used in the way you want to use it and at the time of year you want to use it.
- Mix the product according to the instructions. Do not add any extra for ‘luck’.
- Apply thoroughly and evenly, but without under-treating or over-treating.
- Avoid spraying in bright sunlight as the water droplets can cause scorch.
- Spraying in the evening in summer, when it is cooler, maybe more effective.
- Wash out sprayers thoroughly after use with a few drops of detergent, then rinse well and spray clean water through the nozzle.
- When spraying, keep children and pets away until the application has dried.
- Some weeds are naturally poisonous, e.g. ragwort. They do not lose their toxicity even when killed. For specific advice on poisonous weeds, call the Evergreen Miracle-Gro Company Customer Advice Line on +44 (0) 1276 401 300.
Garden chemical storage and disposal
- It is important to keep all household and garden chemicals in their original containers and out of the reach of children (especially under-fives) and pets.
- Old or unwanted chemical products can be disposed of through your local waste authority (County Council or Unitary Council). Your local council can advise on household waste sites that will accept garden chemicals. A list of local council facilities that will accept garden care chemicals can be found at the Pesticide Disposal Directory.
- Never dispose of unwanted product down household sinks, lavatories or drains.
Further advice on the safe disposal of garden chemicals can be found on CropLifeUK’s Common Sense Gardening website.